Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Cloth diapering: so easy, even a brain-dead zombie mom can use them

Cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefoldsI know what you're thinking. Some of you, at least. If you're new to the concept of cloth diapering and are anything like I was before being sucked into the world of "fluff,"** you're probably thinking something like this:

"Oh, yeah, right -- like I could ever manage cloth diapering! I can't even properly wrap a flat rectangular box with Christmas paper! How on earth could anyone ever possibly expect me to pin a piece of cloth on to the bottom of a squirmy baby? I'd probably end up impaling the kid and getting thrown into jail for child abuse!"

Yep. Been there. Thought that. Trust me, if I can get the knack of cloth diapering, anyone can.

The truth is, cloth diapers are ridiculously easy to use, especially when you use cotton prefolds together with those awesome Snappis I mentioned in an earlier post. (Frankly, if I were to use pins, Monkey Boy would almost certainly be a eunuch by now.)

There are lots of ways to fold a cloth diaper, some of which work better for chubby or skinny babies, but I'm inherently lazy and have only used the first basic folding method I learned, the "newspaper fold." So far, it's worked great for us.

Here, I'll walk you through it...

1. Lay out the prefold cloth diaper so that the serged ends are at the top and bottom, then fold the bottom end of the diaper 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up the diaper, like so:

cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds
I've made a relatively skinny fold here, just because these prefold cloth diapers are infant-sized and getting a little small for my ridiculously long baby. I really should go out and buy him the next size up already, but have I mentioned that I'm inherently lazy?

(Oh, and another thing I'd like to point out -- these amateur digital pix really don't do justice to the fact that this prefold cloth diaper is still pure white, despite having been peed and pooped on countless times during the 3 1/2 months Monkey Boy has been using them. Yep, these suckers wash up really well.)

Okay, enough digressions. Back to the folding!

2. Fold both sides of the prefold cloth diaper so that they meet in the middle, then flare out the tops so that they form "wings."


cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (2)
(If your baby is a heavy wetter, you can place a liner on top of the prefold cloth diaper at this point. If I'd had my wits about me, I would have taken a picture to show you what it looked like. But I didn't, because Monkey Boy thought it would be a great joke to wake me up a dozen times in the middle of the night -- and as a result I wasn't thinking straight. When all else fails, blame the baby.)

3. Place your baby on to the prefold cloth diaper so his bum is in the middle of it, then bring up the folded bottom toward your baby's belly button. (Feel free to kiss said belly button, just 'cause it's so darned cute.)

cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (3)
4. Bring one of the wings around to the front of your baby, so that it meets up with the folded part of the prefold cloth diaper, then start looking madly for the Snappi you need to use to attach the two of them together.


cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (4)
5. Use the Snappi to fasten one side of the prefold cloth diaper, then the other, and then attach the middle "anchor" claw of the Snappi down so that the remains securely wrapped around your baby.

cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (5)
6. Sit back and admire your handiwork!

cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (6)
Oh yeah, there's a good-looking prefold cloth diaper. It's so nifty, I think it deserves an...

7. Obligatory cute baby shot!

cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (7)
8. And another!

cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (8)
One day, years from now, when Monkey Boy is a teenager, he's going to cringe at all the compromising baby pictures I posted of him online.

It's my little way of saying, "Thanks for all those sleepless nights, son."

Okay, now it's confession time... For all the uninitiated out there, I have to admit that the fold featured in the pictures above isn't a very good example of a well-executed newspaper fold. Parents who are more conscientious about their folding no doubt do a far better job than I do.

Those people probably make much crisper and symmetrically balanced folds, and tuck one side of the bottom fold featured in Step 2 into the other, to increase the diaper's stability and make it look even cooler.

But, as I mentioned earlier, me=lazy.

So lazy, in fact, that sometimes I don't even bother using the newspaper fold. Nope. Sometimes I just fold the prefold cloth diaper in thirds and shove that sucker right into the diaper cover, like this:


cloth diapering is easy with inexpensive cotton prefolds (9)
But even when I'm being so horrendously lazy, Monkey Boy still doesn't suffer for it. His diaper cover still keeps in all the wetness without giving him so much as a hint of a rash (knock wood).

Now I ask you, how easy is that?

**"fluff" is what the cool kids call cloth diapers and cloth-diaper-related materials (liners, covers, fabric, etc.) Now you too can sound like a true diaper connoisseur!

3 comments:

Me said...

This is a very interesting site!

When I was a baby, I know my mom used cloth diapers on me. When my sister had a child, I remember being taught how to put on a cloth diaper on my nephews! Surprisingly, I had fun doing it!

Makes child care more personal and more challenging! :D

zandperl said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!

I'm going to have to come back here when I have a kid one of these years. Meanwhile, as a never-mom and an only child who never baby sat, I have to say the thought of having to change diapers is daunting.

That said, I like the environmentally friendly idea of reusable, except for the ick factor. Ick, you can't just throw them out, what do you do, "empty" solids into a toilet? Do you have to wring it out to get rid of liquids? Ick. And if you change it while you're out, can you just put the used one in a plastic baggie to take home? Ick.

Yeah, I'm no where near ready for kids yet. LOL. :-P

Anonymous said...

It is pretty much the year 2023. How is your 20 year old kid doing? Doubt you will see this as blogs are no longer a thing in the last 10+ years. Oh my, does that mean you were using MySpace in 2005 when this blog was created?! Anyhow, reading a book called How To Be A Victorian (from dawn to dusk guide) by Ruth Goodman and presently reading about nappies back then.